Close up

Close up
Please allow me to introduce my books as I usher them toward a new life.

Thursday 12 April 2012

Day One: The Decision

I have a lot of books; loads of novels, texts on philosophy and religion from school, dictionaries and teach- yourself language books in Irish, Latin, German, Greek (Ancient and Modern), and Slovak. I love them all like unborn worlds, but I rarely open them, and the time has come when I could really use the space they now inhabit. I railed against letting them go, thought of donating some of them to a nearby library so I could still visit them, touch them, and remember what they have been to me. Then it occurred to me, maybe I should do that first, remember what they have meant to me, and then tell the world about them and why I have kept them by me all these years. Maybe then I can let them go out into the world, still keeping some part of them around to visit when I need to.
So I'm going to write a little memorial for each one, where we met, where we have been together and what each one has taught me. And I encourage your response, if you have read, meant to read or specifically not read one of these books, and think it belongs in a small collection.
So, thank you for coming to visit, and I hope you enjoy your stay.

No comments:

Post a Comment